Changing the Face of Health Care
By Changing the Hearts of Doctors
A Little About Us…
The Duke/UNC-Chapel Hill Christian Medical & Dental Association (CMDA) Chapter was founded in 1992 by two Duke medical students and one Duke medical practitioner. Over the years we changed our name a few times (originally CMS then CMDS), and steadliy grown into a non-dominational ministry of more than 100 medical, dental, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant, nursing and other allied health students. Additionally, over 30 faculty members (from both UNC and Duke) oversee and support this ministry. We meet monthly for fellowship, dinner, and discussions. The discussion topics vary, but the application of Christian values to clinical decision making is almost always part of the “take home message.” Additionally, each of the health profession schools hold weekly Bible studies in a small group atmosphere.
Nationally, CMDA was founded in 1931 by Christian medical and dental students as a vehicle for fellowship, bible study and prayer with other professional healthcare students. Today, CMDA is serving over 14,000 members and sponsors student chapters at two-thirds of the nation’s medical and dental school campuses. CMDA provides discipleship and outreach programs while encouraging students to integrate Christian principles into professional practice.
Mission of Duke CMDA
The purpose of the Christian Medical & Dental Association is to motivate and equip health care professionals to practice their faith in Jesus Christ both privately and professionally. Specifically, Duke CMDA strives to do the following:
- To take on more of the character of Jesus Christ every day through loving, forgiving, serving, ministering, and praying.
- To humbly and authentically seek God’s will for our professional and personal lives, and to seek His help in integrating medicine into our faith.
- To grow and challenge our faith in Jesus Christ and our understanding of His Creation, including glorifying Him through study, research, and clinical dedication.
- To broaden our understanding of healing to include spiritual, mental, and emotional health as well as physical health. To seek to bring this complete healing to our patients, classmates, and professors.
- To devote ourselves to prayer in everyday life.
- To strengthen Christian fellowship within the Duke health care community, and to facilitate long-lasting relationships between students and health care professionals.
- To equip members who are considering domestic or international medical missions with prayer, faith, relationships, and the information needed to make wise decisions
Academic Year 2017-2018 Events
1.Triangle CMDA Kickoff Gathering: Come join pracititioners, faculty, and students from RDU, CUSOM, Duke SOM & PA, and UNC SOD, SOM, and SOPh. Free food, fellowship, inter-chapter competition, and info for the upcoming year will be provided.
Date/Time: Saturday, Aug. 26, 6-8pm
Location: Mt. Moriah Baptist Church, 549 Erwin Rd, Durham, NC 27707
2. Trent Semans Lunch & Learn: Guest speakers come to talk about ways their Christian faith impacts how they practice medicine. Pizza will be provided.
Time: 12-12:50 pm or 1:00-1:50pm, Fridays (biweekly)
Dates/Location: Check your email the week of for times and location!
2. Triangle Christian Medical Fellowship Meetings: we gather once a month at Mt. Moriah Baptist Church (549 Erwin Rd. Durham. NC 27707) to gather for praise and worship as well as to hear from Christian physicians in the Triangle area. Free dinners are provided. The dates for 2016 are as follows:
January 20, 2017
April 7, 2018
3. Annual CMDA retreat with UNC, Wake Forest, and ECU
September 9, 2017 at the home of Drs. Craig and Amy Fowler at Lake Hyco. There will be several speakers who are associated with CMDA nationally as well as opportunities to enjoy the warm weather, watersports, and fellowship. Check out the youtube video below for the highlights of our 2012 retreat.
4. DUMC Lunch & Lifts: Fellowship & prayer in the hospital. Dates and times TBD.